Sunday, August 15, 2010

Spanglish

I know, I know. I am officially one of the worst bloggers out there. I don´t post often enough, and when I do I forget to take pictures, etc... I promise I´ll really try working harder at it.

I´ve been keeping myself quite busy. So busy that one of our favourite bloggers out there Gringation and I have had to reschedule a drink 3 times!!! I´m actually headed back to Calgary this week for 3 weeks. Escaping the heat for the cold. Seriously, I keep hearing how cold Calgary is. My point is maybe with all my time up there I can write some posts I´ve been wanting to : day in Puerto Morelos, etc...

You´ll all be happy to know that I am still going strong on my new lifestyle change. Have I lost a pound? Not even one. Can I see a difference? Not at all. However, what can one expect in a month. I know the first to go will be my chest, and the last my ass. Isn´t that the way it always works??!!!

Aside from this huge change in my lifestyle I´ve also started studying Spanish daily. I study for an hour every morning, and really try using what I´ve learned while out, with my maid, with hubby, definitely with my in-laws. It´s been great. I told myself that I definitely don´t want to be on of those people who have been living here in Cancun for 5 years and still are unable to communicate. Sooo....intense studying is what it will take.

For those interested I am using a program by Visual Link. It is fantastic, and I can honestly say you will learn a lot from using these discs. My dad was referred to them by a friend of ours who is mormon. Apparently these lessons are used for those that are preparing to go on their mission to a foreign country.

I can honestly say I´ve already seen a huge improvement in my grammar, and that is huge. The key for anyone trying to learn any other language (this will be my 3rd) is that you MUST practice. I studied French in school for 11 years, and ask me what I know now? Un petit. LOL.

Again, I know I ask for it a lot, but wish a gal some luck!!!

11 comments:

Rosas Clan in Tulum said...

Enjoy your time in Canada. Man is it a good time to escape the heat. I envy your Spanish study. I really need to get better as well. My kids have blown past me in what they know about Spanish.

One Small Voz said...

I would take Canada over Veracruz right now too. I'm hibernating in the A/C bedroom using the heat as a excuse not to do the housecleaning. If you speak Croatian, you will have no problem in Spanish, as Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn (although I struggle b/c I am not adept at learning languages). Sure you will breeze through it! :-)

KfromMichigan said...

Good luck with the Spanish .. I don't have confidence in myself to speak it correctly. I have taken a class and I have CD's. Guess I'm lazy! Enjoy you time with family and friends.

Crazy Rita said...

LOL about the comment of losing the chest and not the ass. It may sound like I am complaining, but the last place for me to lose anything is my chest. I've recently lost 30 pounds. I lost it in the belly, thighs, ass but not an ounce in the my busty chest. Oh, well, one way to look at it is at least I don't have saggy boobs because of weight loss. Good luck on the Spanish learning. I've had lots of book and classroom learning. Now I am learning on the street, as many say.

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least we finally made concrete plans right? haha

I think it's awesome you're learning Spanish. Many expats never take the time to learn, which is a shame!

If you already have 2 languages, Spanish will be a piece of cake. It has its challenges, but its rules are very simple compared to other languages.

Josie said...

Look at it this way- at least you have an ass to lose! A belt can't even keep my pants up because I have no ass. My family was blessed with BBNB Syndrome (Big Belly No But)

Good luck with your studying :)

ElleCancun said...

Mindy - Thanks amiga, and you are right! I picked one heck of a time to leave. I actually planned it LOL! I know everyone says it, but it truly is the best, we just have to practice, practice, practice!!! Use your kids to teach you!! LOL!!

Leah - Jajaja about the housecleaning!! I always knew you were smart!! I know it´s sooo hott!!! People always say if you already know another language then it will be easier, and I sure hope they are right! I find Spanish very difficult, as there is Spanish, and then Mexican Spanish, Argentinian Spanish (Vosotros, mostly Castellano), Spain Spanish! LOL!! Thanks for the confidence amiga!!

KfromMich - thanks amiga!! I think confidence is the key. We all have to let go and just do it!! I know...easier said than done!!

Rita - Jajaja. All I know is you are the envy of almost all ladies that I know. If I could lose it everywhere and then my chest, I´d be the happppiest gal out there!! OH and yeah, no offence, but saggy boobs?? No one wants those!! Ah...well at least there is surgery for that kinda thing!!! LOL! Hahaha. Street Spanish....I´d have to be very careful with that! LOL!!

Gringation - I know!! See you tonight amiga! Yes, I truly believe that learning is a must, and I am not going to sit around anymore! LOL! In reality I´ve been learning this entire time, but not studying like this!!! Maybe I´ll ask you to explain things to me when I get confused!

Josie - hahahahaha, I´ve never heard of that one before!!!! Ohhh....I´m sure you are just being hard on yourselves!!! Yes, I most definitely have an ass, and a chest, but I´d way rather lose the ass first!!! Ahh...we all want what we don´t have! Thanks for the luck!

Ashlie said...

Good for you!! Have a great time in Calgary. When you get back lets get together with Gringanation and have drinks.

ElleCancun said...

Ashlie - It's a date!!!! Hope you had a blast in Van!!!

Brenda Maas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda Maas said...

We used Visual Link when we first came to Mexico too and liked it. While you are in Canada buy a big, fat verb book lol. Invaluable.
Best thing is to talk, talk,, talk and listen, listen, listen. Good luck and have fun in Canada.
We are on the other side of the country but on the coast and it is hot and humid here too. Alberta sounds good right now.