Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Doing things up Veracruz style!!!

This post is going to be short and sweet, but I just can't help myself. Last Sunday hubby and I decided to hit the road and drive to the city of Veracruz, Mexico from our home in Cancun. Literally on a whim. I believe it took us in total close to 13 hours actual driving time, but we did decide to spend a night in a city called Villahermosa which is in the State of Tabasco. Beautiful little city, and I'll have some pictures to post when I get home.
Veracruz has been a great treat, and a place where we've talked about visiting together for a while. My suegro is actually from the State of Veracruz, and has always told us stories about why we needed to visit. Not that we really needed them as an excuse. We have been staying in the historical part of Veracruz which has allowed us to walk around, and really enjoy the Zocalo. One of the things I wish Cancun had..... a "real" Zocalo.
As I mentioned above, short and sweet, but here are a couple of photos I've taken over the last few days.... A full trip report to come when I return to Cancun. In the time being I am going to enjoy my time here in Veracruz to the fullest.

7 comments:

One Small Voz said...

Wow - you really are here in Veracruz, the city! If you have some time and are interested, hubby & I could show you around a bit or go somewhere for mariscos. Email me if the mood strikes you guys: flinndesign@gmail.com

Bob Mrotek said...

As long you are in Veracruz don't forget to go to San Juan de Ulua and see the cell of Chucho el Roto and afterward continue up the road to Antigua and see Cortez's first house. It really is something to see. Also in Veracruz visit the Gran Café de la Parroquia and have a café lechero. It is a unique experience.

KfromMichigan said...

Enjoy! Can't wait to see more pictures.

Joanna van der Gracht de Rosado said...

Hi there!

I am Canadian too and live in Merida. I have been here a very long time and feel as though I am so lucky to have found paradise. Mind you when I was 28 I didn't always consider Merida to be paradise!

It's interesting that you call your blog "On Mexican Time" Are you a fan of Tony Cohan?

It's funny really, I am re-reading his book right now...

Do visit my blog:

www.writingfrommerida.com

Joanna

Ashlie said...

Way to go!! Now that's what I call being spontaneous. My husband and I have always wanted to visit Veracruz as well. Enjoy your time there.

ElleCancun said...

Leah -= too bad we weren't able to meet up, but next time for sure!! Or, if you do make it over here you know you have a personal tour guide any time!!

Bob - I just can't believe we weren't able to make it to the Cafe shop!! We walked by it, said we'd go back and never did!! We did the acquarium, and Hacienda El Lencero (AMAZING), and we did a day trip to Xalapa... very colourful city!!!

KfromM - OMG, it was such a neat trip. Pics will be posted soon!!

Joanna - WOW, you have been in Mexico a very long time. That's fantastic, and I will surely be adding your blog to my blog roll!!! I am from Cgy, but used to live in Vancouver as well!!
Yes, I have read that book, but when I started looking at blogging I only picked OMT to leave comments, but when I started writing.... I didn't change it. I really now wish I would have, but that is a project for later!!
Actually, on our way home we decided to spend the night in Merida!! We stayed at the Hacienda Ek Balam. We looove Merida!!

Ashlie - what a trip it was!! Sometimes the best are the spontaneous ones. It was really neat to see the states of Campeche, Tabasco and Veracruz. I'd recommend the trip for sure!

Anonymous said...

So exciting! Can't wait to see more pictures. Have fun :)